Claims FAQ
General Questions

What does Velocity Claims Services offer?
Our Velocity Claims, LLC team is staffed with caring professionals, available 24/7 to answer your questions and help you through the claims process.

Who should I contact to report a loss?
You should let your insurance agent know, but to get the claims process moving quickly, call Velocity Claims, LLC at 1-844-VRU-CLMS (844-878-2567). One of our customer service professionals will ask you a few questions to get the information we need to start the claims process.

How long will it take to handle my claim?
Our goal is to handle every claim in a professional and efficient manner. Depending on the size of the loss, complexity and cooperation of other involved resources, handling times can vary accordingly. Our commitment to you is to advance your claim along as quickly as possible and to keep every customer well informed each step of the way. You can help by ensuring that you have provided us with all relevant information related to your claim.

How do I know if my claim will be covered?
The Velocity claims representative assigned to your claim will explain your policy benefits/coverages to you and will address how each applies to your specific claim.

Will my premium increase if I file a claim?
It depends in part on the terms of your policy, how many claims you've filed in the past and insurance regulations in your state. We encourage you to contact your insurance agent who can discuss these questions with you.

Will my policy be cancelled if I file a claim?
Many factors go into this answer, such as: any prior claims history, any unsafe property conditions and any unsafe behaviors that may result in or have resulted in loss, etc. We encourage you to reach out to your insurance agent prior to reporting a loss if you have any concerns.

What's a deductible?
It's the first portion of a covered loss that, according to your policy, you've agreed to pay before Velocity Claims, LLC starts paying for the covered costs of the loss. For example, if you have a covered loss of $2,000 and your policy carries a $1,000 deductible, you'll pay the first $1,000 and we'll pay the remaining $1,000. In exchange for agreeing to pay a deductible, you pay lower policy premiums each year. Contact your insurance agent if you would like to consider other deductible options.

Will I still have to pay the deductible if I wasn't at fault?
No matter who's at fault, you may still have to pay a deductible for certain coverages. Velocity Claims, LLC will make every reasonable attempt to recover all costs from the responsible party or the insurer of the responsible party, and we'll return the same percentage of your deductible that we’re able to recover of the total costs.

When do I pay my deductible? To whom do I pay it?
Your deductible will be subtracted from the amount of your loss before we deliver your settlement payment. You will likely pay the amount of your deductible directly to your contractor once repairs are completed.

What if I think the other party is filing a fraudulent claim?
If you feel that the other party is filing a fraudulent claim please let us know. Your Velocity claims representative will investigate fully all aspects of the claim and will take appropriate action. In circumstances of possible fraud, your Velocity claims representative will report relevant information to the proper reporting agencies for appropriate action by the applicable authorities.

What if the other party sues me? What should I do?
If you receive a legal summons and/or complaint, call your Velocity claims representative immediately at 1-844-VRU CLMS (844-878-2567), and forward a copy of the summons and/or complaint, along with any other letters and documents you receive to the Velocity claims representative who is working with you on your claim. It is extremely important that you get this information to us as soon as you receive it, as prompt action is required pursuant to the law and any delay could prejudice your rights or the rights of Velocity Claims, LLC.


Property Claims

Can I choose who will do repairs to my property?
Yes. Your Velocity claims representative will work with your choice of vendor or contractor. We may offer and explain the benefits of our "Velocity Direct Repair" program as an option to you however, it is always your choice which vendor or contractor you use.

Will repairs be done properly and workmanship guaranteed?
By choosing your own contractor/vendor, you manage their work and ensure that the repairs meet your standards. Velocity Claims, LLC does not make any warranties as to the quality or standard of contractors’ or vendors’ work.

Should I file a police report for a loss or theft?
We recommend filing a police report immediately any time you experience property theft or vandalism to your property.

What if I don't have all the information about my loss right now? Should I wait to file a claim?
No, we recommend that you file your claim as soon as possible after the loss. Later, if you come across additional information that would help your Velocity claims representative with the claim, provide the information to them at that point.

Do I need to hire a public adjuster?
If you've suffered a major loss, you may be contacted by a public adjuster. These are independent claims adjusters who are not associated with Velocity Claims, LLC in any way and will charge you a fee for their services based on the total value of your claim or settlement amount. The fee is not a covered expense and you cannot seek reimbursement for that cost from Velocity Claims, LLC. We're confident that your Velocity claims representative will investigate, evaluate and settle your claim fairly and efficiently such that a public adjuster is not needed; however, the decision is yours to make.

What else can I do to prepare for my first meeting with a Velocity claims representative?
If you can, in the event that you sustain property damage to your residence or commercial building, prepare a room-by-room inventory of damages and lost property. If you have the information, or remember it, include manufacturer names, model numbers, and purchase dates.

Should I start making repairs before you inspect the damage?
We know you're eager to start putting your home back together, but it's best to wait until we've conducted our first on-site inspection. The most important immediate action is for you to protect your property from further damage. That way, we can identify all the damages, preparing the most comprehensive estimate based on your policy coverages

How should I choose a contractor? Will Velocity recommend one?
We suggest that you seek out contractors who have a proven track record in your area. To help select a reliable contractor there a several things you can do. You can:

  • talk with friends, neighbors and relatives who have hired contractors,
  • get references from any contractor you interview and,
  • contact your local Better Business Bureau for information about the contractors you're considering,
  • don't sign a contract until you've reviewed it carefully and have agreed to payment terms, and
  • verify that the contractor has an active license in your state (in many cases you'll be able to check the status of the contractor’s license right on your state's website).

Will you handle this claim any differently because the damage to my property was caused by a catastrophe?
When a catastrophic event occurs, Velocity Claims, LLC knows that a timely response is key to delivering an exceptional customer experience. Through our strategic partnerships, we are able to utilize a network of dedicated field investigators, loss experts, and repair partners to quickly and accurately investigate and resolve claims and get you and the community on the road to recovery – as fast as possible.

What should my first step be after a catastrophe?
First, make sure everyone in your family is safe, and get medical care if anyone has been injured. Then, call Velocity Claims, LLC at 1-844-VRU CLMS (844-878-2567). Protect your property by sealing broken windows, putting tarps over cracks or openings in exterior walls or roof, and doing whatever else you can to prevent additional damage. Keep receipts for any materials you buy; those costs may be reimbursable.

How can I monitor the status of my claim?
Feel free to contact your Velocity claims representative when you need a status update, and let that person know how often, or at which points in the process, you'd like to be updated and we will be happy to assist.

What if I or my contractor finds additional damage following the estimate or once repairs are underway?
Contact your Velocity claims representative and report the additional damage; we'll re-inspect and determine whether the damage is covered by your policy.

Why is my settlement check made payable to both me and my mortgage company? How do I get it endorsed so I can cash it to pay for repairs?
When you have a mortgage on your home, settlement checks typically are made payable to both you and your mortgagee, as required by the mortgagee. You'll need to contact your mortgage company to find out how to obtain their endorsement on the check.